Saturday, February 21, 2009

I ate bunny...

Last weekend I had the opportunity to go home with my friend Eleni. She lives in Halketha, about an hour from Athens. She invited me to go with her a couple weeks ago and I had no idea what to expect when I arrived. It was definitely the most "Greek" experience I have had since arriving here, and probably the most fun!

Eleni and her cousins are involved in Scouts (like boy scouts and girl scouts, but co-ed) and are leaders for a group of students. I got to be involved in their program Saturday and then went to a Carnival dance for all the scouts and their parents that night. Carnival is pretty much the same as Mardi Gras, but with Halloween costumes. About two days before we left I was told we were going to be "pigs in sacks"...haha. Apparently something to do with a Greek saying, but I still had no idea what it really meant. I learned two different Greek dances and we spent the entire night, eating and dancing until 2 am!

Sunday we went to her aunt and uncle's house for a typical "Sunday Lunch." The amount of food at this lunch was more than any Thanksgiving meal I have ever had. They had a huge BBQ that they filled with pork, lamb, chicken and sausage...along with pasta, salad, spinich pastries, and the crowning course...bunny. I told them they should just say "rabbit" so I didn't think I was eating some cute, fluffy, easter bunny...but the name stuck. The meal ended with a serving of chocolate mouse for everyone AND a cake.

The weekend was wonderful, but the hightlight was probally sitting on the couch with her Grandmother who speaks NO english, and having her ask me about my views on Barak Obabma and George Bush...haha. Just imagine.

I defintiley have a better understanding of Greek culture after last weekend and hope to go back again! Here are some pics form the Carnival party:

5 comments:

Dan said...

You make a cute pig.
love, Dad

Kimberly Wootten said...

oh my goodness. Great story! gotta love cultural experiences you will never forget. and the political questions... been there, done that. :)

Courtney said...

paige, my love,

i laughed out loud at the pig picture. priceless.

all the people from the land of red, white, and blue send hugs.

CEH said...

oh goodness, this is great. and I agree with your dad, you do make a cute pig! ha

The Neelys said...

I can't believe you ate bunny! I need to hear about this and what it tasted like. Love the piggy pics :)