Saturday, September 20, 2008

Arrival...

Hi to everyone who is keeping up with me this year in Athens! I have never had a blog before, so this is something completely new. I hope you enjoy hearing about my time here and about all the amazing things God is going to do in the lives of college students in Greece! I can't wait!

I arrived safely after a VERY long and tiring plane ride. I met one of my teammates, Andrew, in Frankfurt and from there we flew to Athens! Some more of our teammates met us at the airport and we all had dinner together that night...it was so surreal to finally be in the place I had been planning to go for so long.

I have to say this city is absolutely breathtaking. I love everything about it so far (starting out in the Honeymoon stage for those other Crusaders out there). My neighborhood is very Greek with hardly any tourists and my apartment sits right next to the 2 campuses where we do ministry...University of Athens and Poly Tech. I actually see the dorm rooms from my balcony!
This is a view of Poly Tech from the roof of some dorms...

Day 2 we toured campus and our neighborhood and prayed over our year. Day 3 we went downtown to Mars Hill where Paul preached about Christ in Acts 17:

"Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you." (verse 22 and 23)

The views were aboslutely amazing and I couldn't believe I was walking where Paul walked so many years before. Here are some of the pictures I took:

(This is Paul's speech in Greek on the side of Mars Hill)

Over the past couple days I have been to Ikea and the french Wal-Mart, Carrefour, eaten AMAZING food, and gotten to know my wonderful team. I've also had 2 people come up to me and start speaking Greek-I must look like a local ;)

We start meeting students at the beginning of October when classes start so please start praying God brings students into our lives that are interested in spiritual things and who want to spend time with us and learn more about the Lord.

I am so thankful to everyone who made it possible for me to be here and miss everyone so much. Thanks for all the prayers! I will update again soon! Opa!

2 comments:

JJB said...

wow! I am absolutely loving these pictures and posts- what a blessing to actually BE there, to see these places that are in the Bible! That's incredible!!! Enjoy every moment! :)

The Neelys said...

Paigie! I love that you started blogging so we can keep up with your life in Greece this year. The pictures are beautiful, and it sounds like you are having a wonderful time so far! We miss you already here and look forward to hearing more about everything going on there. Love you!

Noel