Saturday, November 29, 2008

Five Kernels of Corn

Sorry for my extended absence from my updates...the past couple weeks have been busier than ever! I feel like I have SO much that has happened and just can't fit it into one post. This may be long, but I want to update you on as much as possible.

Last weekend, I went to London with Catherine, Paul and Andrew on my team to renew our Visas. It was such a wonderful, refreshing trip...and I could actually read all the signs!! We used this time to meet with a friend of Paul's, Josh, who works for a church in the city. The church is "church.co.uk" (also their website) and does amazing things for the community where they are located. We got a lot of ideas from this church that we hope to bring back to our student ministry in Athens. One focus they have is going into the community and asking what needs they can meet, and using that to share about Christ. We are looking beyond spiritual needs of students here and trying to see if there are practical needs we can meet as well...and use that to build relationships to share the Gospel! Pray for creativity for this to happen!
Our last day in London we took a trip to "Borough Market" (picture above) and had one of the best cups of coffee ever from Monmouth Coffee Co....and despite the cold weather, had a great morning trying great food, and speaking in English. We ended the day with a traditional American Thanksgiving celebration (complete with making paper turkeys, feather headbands and pilgrim hats!) There were about 22 people and TONS of food! I found it slightly ironic that we were celebrating with almost all British people, but they loved it. It was a great preview of the real Thanksgiving to come.
......
This week, back in Athens, I met with a girl named Carolina (aka Caroline) for coffee and some Christmas shopping. I met Caroline one of the first weeks I was here, but have just started getting to know her better. She has already told me she is at a phase in her life where she is "searching" and is even interested in reading the bible together and discussing scripture! Our time on Tuesday was just an enjoyable afternoon getting to know her better, but I hope to start doing some bible discussion soon...please keep her in your prayers!
......
After a long wait and lots of preparation, we finally had our Athens Thanksgiving on Friday!! We started the day with a "Turkey Trot" and a "Punt, Pass and Kick" competition on the Polytech campus. I enjoyed the competition, but for those of you who know my athletic abilities, this was not my shinning moment :)

My real personal accomplishment was making my Mimi's cornbread dressing for the meal. This is an item that I have never been without on any Thanksgiving that I can remember...it is by far my favorite part of the meal and I could not imagine this day without it! I actually made my own sausage and it turned out better than I had expected. Mimi must have been helping me from Heaven ;) The rest of the food was amazing as well...but just such a different experience from any Thanksgiving in the States.

We were even able to watch the Macy's parade and the A&M/UT game (which we will not discuss). I truly enjoyed this day, and it made me even more thankful for my team here...God has blessed me so much through them! I did miss my family though and was sad not to see them on this holiday!

One tradition I am sure to carry on in life was to put five kernels of corn on our plates, and each say five things we are thankful for. I loved hearing the little boys say their things...which included "Superman" and "Wii Basketball." I thought I would share my 5 with you:

1) God's faithfulness in my life...he never forgets about us and has a plan for my life, even when I don't know it.
2) My wonderful family...they are always so supportive of everything that I do and I could not be more grateful! (Also thankful for their trip to Athens over Christmas!)
3) My friends from home who make sure that I am not forgotten...I am thankful for every postcard, letter, email, and package I have received here...they mean more than I can express!
4) My Greek friends...God has blessed me with some enjoyable people I really like spending time with. My desire for them to know Christ increases every day.
5) Marta...my roommate and friend. I am so blessed by her and thankful to live with her! She is also an amazing cook, and helps me so much :)
......
So overall, the past week has been one of the most enjoyable ones this semester! There are many, many more things I am thankful for, and I could never list them all! God has been incredibly faithful to me here in Athens, even when I miss home, want to call my friends, and am sad about missing weddings, showers, and fun nights College Station. His blessings outweigh everything, and I am reminded of that daily.

I love you all and thanks for your continued prayers and support...I would not be so thankful without them!! Blessings!

1 comment:

The Neelys said...

This is so funny because on Thanksgiving night, I randomly thought of Chris and I saying 5 things we are thankful for. We still think alike even miles and miles away :)

I miss you so much! And we always think of you at every shower or night in CS and wish you were here. I'm glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and look forward to hearing more about it on gmail or skype!

P.S. I'm impressed with your cooking skills & sports playing :)