Saturday, April 18, 2009

Χριστός Ανέστη!

...He is Risen! One of my favorite things about being in Greece right now is that I get to celebrate Easter twice. As you know, Easter for the Protestant and Catholic church was last weekend and Easter for the Orthodox church is tomorrow! We have had this week off and all of the students have left Athens to celebrate the holiday with their families. I have truly enjoyed celebrating Christ's resurrection this week and for some reason it feels more real this year than ever before. I have been reading through the Gospels over the past few months and continue to be incredibly thankful for Christ's sacrifice. This time of year has given us many opportunities to share the Gospel with our friends and I pray that conversations about Christ's live and death will continue even after the 2 week holiday.

Some fun events of the Easter weeks were...

Attending the Son Rise service on Philipapou Hill, overlooking the Acropolis, was incredible. The service was composed of Evangelical churches from around Athens, including Germans, Koreans, and Indonesians. It was morning service I will never forget!

That same day my friend Meridith came to Athens as a stop on her world cruise!! It was great to show her around the city, introduce her to Greek food, attempt to find Nutella, and meet a man who had never seen a credit card before :) I loved spending the day with her!

For two days I got to go home with my friend Eleni again. I love her family and they are always so welcoming to me. Sadly my Greek had not improved since the last time I visited, but we had some really great conversations in English! She opened up to me about her doubts about God's existence and said she really just wants to know what she beleives. Please pray that I will have the words to say and that God will reveal himself to her!

Tonight we are going to the Orthodox church and attending the Easter service. This starts at 11 and ends a little around midnight. Please pray that tonight the life, death and resurrection of Christ will have new meaning and importance.

Thanks for your prayers and I hope you have all had a wonderful Easter too!

Freely You gave it all for us surrendered your life upon that cross great is the love poured out for all this is our God... ~Hillsong

No comments: