Tuesday, October 21, 2008

If there is one thing I've learned...

If there is one thing I have learned about Greeks since I have been here, it's that they don't ever make permanent plans. Sure they may tell you they will meet you somewhere, some day, at some time...but it doesn't mean they will actually be there. Now this is not everyone, but it does happen. This makes it a little difficult when trying to set up meetings with Greek friends. So I thought I would share with you my experience on Friday trying to meet up with 2 girls, Konstantina and Katerina. I hope you find it amusing :)

I had "scheduled" to meet Konstantina at 1pm on Friday and she told me to meet her at the Theology building on campus...I was happy that she actually chose the location, thinking this was a pretty permanent meeting place. Well at 1:05 Catherine and I show up as planned and I give Konstantina a call to tell her we are there...

(on the phone)
Paige: Hi Konstantina, we are at the Theology building, where are you?
K: Can you get in a taxi? (not a good sign...)
P: Ummm...well...where are you...maybe...??
K: giaoiiohdgeiokieshooaihwoe... (aka some place I have never heard of...still not a good sign)
P: umm...is there a bus that goes there?
K: I don't know, can you get in a taxi?
P: [I'm thinking: No, we do NOT want a taxi! We want you to be here!] Well, I'm not sure, can you tell me the name of the cafe and the area of Athens?
K: I will call you back.

So at this point Catherine and I decide to get a sandwich and wait it out...10 minutes later, a text message...

K: I don't know which bus it is, can you ask someone. I can't.
P: What cafe are you at and is it in Zografou? (our neighborhood)
K: Millennium. yes. (this cafe is within walking distance and there is a bus that goes directly there from campus...Catherine and I are now laughing that we were told to take a taxi somewhere thats a 5 min. walk away)
P: I know exactly where that is. We are on our way.

We continue to eat our lunch, then slowly start walking. 15 minutes later we arrive...I get a phone call.

K: Where are you?
P: We are at Millennium, right outside.
K: In Omonia? (Another neighborhood far away...again, not looking great.)
P: [oh no...] No, in Zografou, are you here?
K: Can you come to Millennium?
P: The Millennium in Zografou??
K: Yes.
P: We are AT the Millennium in Zografou, right NOW.
K: I will be there in 10 minutes (of course...)
P: (just to make sure) You will be AT the Millennium Cafe IN Zografou in 10 minutes??
K: yes (and hangs up)

We go inside and easily could have waited another hour, but surprising 10 minutes later they arrive. So we got to drink Frappes, chat, and 3 and a half hours later, I left. The time ended well and I left frantically shaking from my caffeine intake (pretty typical). I think this was my initiation for the year ;)

The time was actually really great and God taught me patience through it all :)

So goodbye to my watch, my planner, and any preconceived notions I ever had about appointments with Greek students...

Prayer Request:
-For patience in times like these and for ease in making appointments and meeting up with students as planned!

Thanks!!

1 comment:

Justus said...

great story! keep up waiting for God's timing!